Russia has begun to destroy imported products into the country in response to the embargo on food imports from Western countries that support sanctions against Russia. This measure was prolonged by Moscow until August, 2016. As it is shown in the picture, a bulldozer was used to crush 10 tons of illegal cheese in the city of Belgorod. The cheese came from Ukraine, but its origin is not known.
A bulldozer in Belgorod destroyed cheese and other food that was said to violate Russia’s ban on European food imports.
Taken from http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/07/world/europe/russia-destroys-piles-of-banned-western-food.html
Furthermore, a cargo of 73 tons of peaches and nectarines from Turkey were destroyed on the Russia-Belarus border on Thursday. Another illegal cache of 20 tons of cheese was disposed of in Saint Petersburg. This initiative began on July 29 when Russian President Vladimir Putin signed a decree on the destruction of embargoed products illegally imported into Russia.
Taken from; http://www.rt.com/politics/311108-putin-decree-destruction-sanctioned-food/
Earlier on Tuesday, The Russian Agriculture Ministry was working on extending Russian food embargo to seven more countries which include Albania, Montenegro, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Ukraine and Georgia. In respond to this measure, the Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvede, as well as the President Putin are highly likely to support it. Meanwhile, European economies continue suffering from Russian counter-sanctions which was made in response to the EU extending its sanctions against Russia up until December 31.
1. Russia begins mass destruction of illegally imported food
Russia has begun destroying embargoed products imported into the country. In the city of Belgorod, a bulldozer was used to crush 10 tons of illegal cheese. The cheese came from Ukraine, but its origin is not known, says Yulia Melan, a spokeswoman for Russian food watchdog Rosselkhoznadzor, in charge of food destruction. She added that after being crushed, the cheese would be buried in a waste pit.
The same fate awaits 73 tons of peaches and nectarines from Turkey. The cargo was stopped on the Russia-Belarus border on Thursday. It arrived with phytosanitary documents, but Turkish authorities had not actually issued any documents. “We were suspicious of the peculiar route the products took through Greece, Moldova and Belarus,” said the watchdog. Another illegal cache to be disposed of by incineration is 20 tons of cheese currently in Saint Petersburg. The embargoed goods had entered Russia bearing a label stating “nonhazardous chemicals”.
On July 29, Russian President Vladimir Putin signed a decree on the destruction of embargoed products illegally imported into Russia. This resulted from the initiative of Agriculture Minister Alexander Tkachev. In June, Moscow extended its embargo on food imports from Western countries that support anti-Russian sanctions until August 5, 2016. This was a reciprocal response to the EU for prolonging sanctions against Russia for six months.
Taken from http://www.rt.com/business/311759-russia-food-embargo-destruction/
Published time: 6 Aug, 2015 14:25
2. Russia drafts bill to add 7 more countries to food embargo list
Moscow is drafting a proposal to extend its food embargo to seven more countries which have backed EU sanctions against Russia. The Russian Agriculture Ministry is working on a draft of a bill which will ban certain food imports from Albania, Montenegro, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Ukraine and Georgia – which have not yet fallen under Russian sanctions yet, RIA Novosti reports citing the ministry’s press service.
“At the moment, the proposals concerning the seven countries are being worked out by the government, the draft decree is also in progress,” the ministry said on Tuesday, adding that the exact date of the readiness of the document has not yet been set. “The exact list of the countries is being discussed,” the ministry’s spokesperson added.
Earlier on Tuesday, Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev said that the government may address President Vladimir Putin and ask him to extend the list of the countries falling under the food import ban. President Putin is highly likely to support the prime minister’s proposal to expand the ban list, said the Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov adding that “the principle of mutuality is of fundamental importance in this issue.”
European economies continue suffering from Russian counter-sanctions which have recently been prolonged up until August 5, 2016. The move was made in response to the EU extending its sanctions against Russia up until December 31, 2016. Italy has already suffered losses amounting to €1.2 billion ($1.3 billion) because of the Russian food embargo said the National President of the Italian agricultural producers confederation, Dino Scanavino.
“It is a case of €1.2 billion. This is the cost of the decrease in the Italian exports to Russia. This is precisely the agricultural part of the export, so its shrinkage affects agriculture and related sectors,” Dino Scanavino said at a press-conference at Rossiya Segondya news agency.
“We should overcome this crisis situation as soon as possible,” he added.
Russia imposed the food import ban on products from the EU after it introduced sanctions against the country, in August 2014. The list of prohibited goods includes meat, fish, sausages, vegetables, fruit and dairy products.
Taken from http://www.rt.com/politics/311593-russia-drafts-embargo-extension/
Published time: 4 Aug, 2015 23:50